There was a time when everything was "Star Wars" vs. "Star Trek." If you wanted to be a knowledgeable geek, you studied up on your Boba Fetts and your Nyota Uhuras, knew the difference between a Stormtrooper and a Klingon, and you were good to go.
Then the next generation of geekdom came along, and made life good for young actors like William Moseley. "I was up for Harry Potter way, way back," remembered the 20-year-old. "But I don't quite fit the bill, I think."
Instead, Moseley would later land the role of Peter Pevensie, one of the British children who were transported to a magical land in 2005's "The Chronicles of Narnia," and returned home with $300 million in domestic box-office money. And although Moseley will return to Narnia again next month with the sequel "Prince Caspian," he admitted to us that he'll always wonder what life would've been like behind eyeglasses and a lightning-bolt scar. Read More...
This won't earn me any points with the ladies, but I remember back when "Star Trek" turned 25, I headed down to Washington DC to check out the traveling tour of props and uniforms from the movies and TV shows. Well, now you Muggles can do the same for your own fantasy franchise as Warner Bros brings a roaming circus of "Potter" memorabilia to a city near you.
Launching in Spring 2009, "Harry Potter: The Exhibition" is set to hit at least ten cities worldwide and will include 10,000 square feet of "elaborate displays" dedicated to the actual costumes, props and artifacts from the film. Among the items cited are the Gryffindor common room and Hagrid's hut, as well as others from the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The company says the exhibition will run over the course of five years; the final "Potter" film will likely hit theaters somewhere in 2011 or '12.
Both were mothers who, around the time of their thirtieth birthday, first imagined a fantasy franchise that would bring them fame, fortune, and a loyal fanbase. This winter, both will provide Hollywood with an eagerly-anticipated blockbuster.
So, when I was interviewing "Twilight" novelist Stephenie Meyer this week for the story that just went live over on MTV.com, I had to ask: Has she ever met J.K. Rowling?
"No," the affable author revealed. "But I would love to; I would love to sit down and talk with her." Read More...
Granted there's not a lot of action here, but considering the only other glimpse we've gotten of "Half-Blood Prince" was Harry just standing around, I guess anything else is a step up.
In the new photo, we see the heroic trio engaged in some fanciful reading, with Harry holding what may be the Prince's potions book while Hermione reads over a newspaper with the apparent headline of "More Disappearances At Ministry Of Magic." We'll get the full story when the film hits theaters on November 21, but in the meantime click here or on the pic below to see everything's we've got on "Half-Blood Prince."
- Steven Spielberg's "Tintin" coming first, says Andy Serkis. Peter Jackson seen stewing. (Indie London)
- Rachel Weisz takes a journey to ancient Egypt in "Agora," about some 4th century history something or other. Really, though, Rachel Weisz in a toga. (Variety)
- George Lucas says "Red Tails" will be flying into theaters in 2009. Story centers on Tuskegee Airmen. (Coming Soon)
- MGM is resurrecting "Robo-Cop." (AICN)
-Producer David Heyman on splitting "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." (Empire)
On July 10th of last year I wrote a casting call for "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," where I suggested that Naomi Watts would be perfect to fill the role of Narcissa Malfoy, Draco's haughty, disdainful, and attractive mother. Not two weeks later, my opinion somehow spread like Fiendfyre across the net, with several websites claiming that Watts was definitively cast.
"So, you're the one!" Watts laughed, her finger wagging at me in mock condemnation. "And not even a phone call!"
Well, no. But weirder coincidences have happened - was there ANY truth to the rumors. Read More...
Muggles rejoice! Magic is surely in the air with news today that "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" will be split into two feature length films, the first of which will hit theaters in November 2010.
But like an uninvited trip through somebody else's memory (we're looking at you, Harry), the news, while satisfying, offers up nearly as many questions as answers. If only Dumbledore was still around to help us sort it all out, right David Heyman?
"The question will be, where do you break it? And how do you make them one but two separate and distinct stories?" the "Potter" producer asked in a recent "LA Times" story. "Do you break it with a moment of suspense or one of resolution? These are the interesting challenges." Read More...
- Will David Yates be directing "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"? "We talk about it every day," the director teased. (Empire)
- Christopher Nolan stares into the abyss, "The Dark Knight" stares back. (NY Times)
- Ben Affleck eyes "The Blade Itself" as possible directing follow-up to "Gone Baby Gone." (Hollywood Reporter)
- Stephen Colbert to be President of the United States…in "Monsters vs. Aliens." TV funnyman joins Hugh Laurie, Reese Witherspoon, Seth Rogen, and Keifer Sutherland for all-star voice cast. (USA Today)
- Someone get George Clooney on the phone. "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" making its way back to theaters. (Hollywood Reporter)
In a recent interview with the "Herald Sun," "Harry Potter" producer David Baron revealed details of an extra scene to be inserted into "Half-Blood Prince," generally good news for fans of J.K. Rowling's fantasy epic.
So why does his explanation make me hotter than a Hungarian Horntail? (Warning: Book Seven spoilers ahead)
It's not just because the scene, which Barron says will take place at the Burrow, isn't from the book. Baron states, and I of course acknowledge, that certain things from a novel don't necessarily translate to film – it's the nature of any adaptation. That means sometimes things have to be added and, truthfully, this particular quandary seems as good a candidate as any. Read More...
Fleur Delacour doesn't know her own fate -- at least, Clémence Poésy, the actress who played her in "Goblet of Fire," hasn't read beyond that book yet. Poesy told MTV News that she's not back in what she calls "Harry Potter world" just yet and won't be appearing in "Half-Blood Prince" -- which probably means that the subplot of her character's engagement to Bill Weasley has been cut out or is only a mention, no actual scenes.
Still, there's hope for Phlegm -- we mean, Fleur -- in "Hallows," since the couple's wedding is a major action sequence when it's disrupted by Death Eaters, and the newlywed's home at Shell Cottage becomes a place of refuge -- but don't tell her that. Read More...