Haven't seen a little indie called "Winter's Bone" yet? You might want to go ahead and add it to your Netflix queue... that is, if you're interested in seeing what will likely be a top contender for this year's Best Picture Oscar.
After taking home the prizes for best feature and best ensemble performance at last night's 20th Gotham Independent Film Awards, the film was thrown an even juicier awards-season bone this morning, when it received seven nods -- including best feature -- to dominate the Independent Spirit Awards nominations.
Debra Granik scored two nods for directing and co-writing (with Anne Rosellini) "Bone," while Jennifer Lawrence scored a best lead female nomination for her riveting, star-making turn as a woman searching for her father in backwoods Arkansas. Her "Winter's Bone" costars, John Hawkes and Dale Dickey, nabbed nominations for best supporting male and female, respectively. And Michael McDonough earned the film's seventh nod, this one for best cinematography. Read More...
The health care bill that passed through the U.S. House last night dethroned Justin Bieber on Twitter's trending topics, but both of them showed up in Twitter-Wood chatter today. The bill had supporters and critics, and former Bieber critic Ken Jeong switched sides to Bieber neutrality, according to a confession post yesterday.
Elsewhere, everyone was watching something last night and had an opinion. Jessica Alba watched frogs jumping off cliffs, Edgar Wright caught a Blur documentary and Greg Mottola saw Ben Stiller in "Greenberg." Find out what they thought and which David Lynch collaborator and composer has a birthday today. It's all in Twitter-Wood for March 22nd, 2010. Read More...
Happy St. Patrick's Day! Originally a March 17th holiday for Catholics, the day has transformed over the years to become a general celebration by all of Irish culture. For many people, this means two things: whiskey (preferably Jameson) and Guinness.
Of course, St. Patrick's Day is also all about shrouding yourself in the color green. Each year, the Chicago River is dyed that color in celebration. In Seattle, they paint the day's parade route in green lines. Hell, this morning at breakfast in MTV's cafeteria, even the bagels were green. Bad choice there, I think. Who wants to eat a green bread product?
My point is, green is a vital part of St. Patrick's Day. Which is why, after the jump, I run through a sampling of the many variations of "green" movies you can find. Read More...
- "Transformers 2” to feature a more science-fictiony plot, Soundwave. (IGN)
- How princely: Ben "Prince Caspian" Barnes to go from saving Narnia to saving his soul as the titular character in "The Picture of Dorian Gray." (ComingSoon)
- Mark Ruffalo and Amy Adams join "Greenberg," the next project from "Squid and the Whale" mastermind Noah Baumbach. (Cinematical)
- First trailer for "Australia" starring Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman surfaces online. (Apple)
- Laurence Fishburne to pull triple duty as director, star, and producer of "The Alchemist," an international best seller about following your dreams. (Hollywood Elsewhere)
- Blockbuster, Calculator, Gemini, and Icicle among villains set to appear in Green Arrow movie "Super-Max." Oh yeah, and the Joker, Lex Luthor, and the Riddler. (Latino Review)