TheWrap's second annual "ShortList" Online Film Festival is currently underway, and voting is open for you to choose which two short films will play on one of MTV's networks for the world to see.
All you have to do to check out this year's slate of films and vote for a winner is head over to the "ShortList" site to view the 12 very different shorts that are up for the top prize, as judged by industry insiders like Destin Cretton, the writer-director behind the indie darling "Short Term 12."
TheWrap also has rundown on some of the entries and the stories behind them.
So it would appear that the mystery around Bad Robot's viral video from yesterday has already been solved.
Bleeding Cool has done a little sleuthing and compared the "Soon he will know" text that appeared in yesterday's video, entitled only "Stranger," and compared it to a promotional postcard that The Huffington Post published around the release of "S.," a book project from Bad Robot that stemmed from a collaboration between J.J. Abrams and author Doug Dorst.
Even though the video is a slight disappoint because it doesn't point to anything "Star Wars" related or "Cloverfield 2," "S." does sound like it could be interesting. The book, which hits shelves on October 29, incorporates notes written in the margin of the novel. That's pretty much all we know so far, but expect more from this viral campaign.
The other possible explanation for the video that was bandied about before the "S." discovery was the Rod Serling script Abrams recently acquired, "The Stops Along the Way." ComingSoon.net dug some interesting info on that script up, which you can read more about after the jump!
Last year, we brought you an inside look at the "ShortList," an online film festival honoring some of the year's best works of short films. This year, TheWrap is once again partnering with MTV and Cinedigm to bring you a line-up of twelve incredible short films that have previous that have been previously featured in festivals like Sundance and LA Film Festival.
The entries for the second annual "ShortList" come from all over the globes including the U.S., Sprain, Israel, and others. The winner of the "ShortList" will have a world of opportunities open to them. The winning short will be aired on an MTV network, and the creator will receive a first-look deal with Cinedigm.
Click past the jump to learn more about this year's entries and find out where you can watch the short films.
There seems to be a timed release schedule for "Star Wars" rumors of varying believability because they've been coming every three days or so. But to believe that would be even worse than buying some of the ludicrous casting rumors.
First up, Latino Review posted an "exclusive" late last week that claimed Ewan McGregor was set to return for "Episode VII." Their confirmation amounted to "three close [anonymous] sources that are on the project" and a junket interview from "The Impossible" where McGregor said he'd come back if producers needed him.
"I guess, yeah, of course," McGregor told Digital Spy when asked if he'd come back. "If they need me, yeah, I'd be happy." He then goes onto say that he knows nothing about it. Hardly a confirmation.
On YouTube yesterday, a video went viral that bases its core concept on a "What if" question that most geeks have pondered for a decade.
What if "Star Wars: Episode II" was good, like really good?
This is the second time that Michael Barryte of Belated Media has asked such a question of the "Star Wars" fan community. His first "What if" took on the much-maligned "Episode I" and cast Barryte in the role of a story executive at 20th Century Fox when George Lucas was developing his prequels. Over the course of 12 minutes, Barryte tweaked, snipped, and rearranged moments from "Episode I," turning it into an Obi-Wan Kenobi-centric film with an older Anakin, no Jar Jar Binks to speak of, and a version of the beloved Darth Maul that doesn't die too soon.
Barryte's version of "The Phantom Menace," which emphasized character moments and development and thematic parallels to the original trilogy as opposed to clunky fan service, quickly became an internet sensation and even won over geek royalty like Patton Oswalt, who also happens to be one of Hollywood's most successful script doctors.
In the year and a half since Barryte's "Episode I" video, the demand for a follow-up has never been far from the thoughts of his comments. "After I put out 'Episode I,' basically every video from that point forward, the top comment would be 'When's "Episode II" coming out?' " Barryte told MTV News over the phone shortly after his new video dropped. "So there was a good amount of demand, and I was worried that the video wouldn't live up to the hype."
Despite his fears, the reimagined "Episode II" seems to have lived up to the hype and the expectations set by "Episode I." "WHAT IF STAR WARS EPISODE II WERE GOOD?" currently sits at 558,000 views with comments on the video mostly positive, but as we learned when speaking with Barryte, the second video offered a much greater challenge than his previous rewrite.
Colin Trevorrow's "Jurassic Park 4" might be in somewhat of a holding pattern for now, but there seems to be little doubt that we will eventually return to the original dino-infested island that started this whole mess.
In the meantime, the "Safety Not Guaranteed" director has spoken with Jurassic Cast (via Superhero Hype and Bleeding Cool) about who the movie will be targeted at, and he also addressed some plot rumors that have appeared on various web sites and blocks.
First up, Trevorrow wanted to make clear that "JP4" is both for the hardcore fans and the people who aren't as familiar with the first three installments and presumably don't say "Hold onto your butts" before doing anything at a computer.
Ron Burgundy conquered the medium of television a very long time ago, but there's always room for him to take over another platform: the tell-all memoir.
The New York Times is reporting that Burgundy's first book "Let Me off at the Top! My Classy Life and Other Musings" will hit store shelves on November 19, which just so happens to be a little more than one month before his sequel, "Anchorman: The Legend Continues," opens in theaters?
Shocking? No. Amazing? Yes.
The memoir will include the deep thoughts of San Diego's number-one newsman, in which he'll "share personal anecdotes about the women in his life, about his dog, Baxter, and his legendary news team. Along the way, he'll also give sage advice on a variety of topics that matter most to him."
Knowing the team behind this, we expect hilarious things from the book, which you can check out on November 19.
Today Paramount and Warner Bros. announced the start of production for Christopher Nolan's new movie called "The Christopher Nolan Movie With Matthew McConaughey."
Even though that might be what we care most about, the movie is actually called "Interstellar," and it boasts an all-star cast that includes our dude McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Casey Affleck, David Oyelowo, Topher Grace, your mom, John Lithgow, Ellen Burstyn, and Michael Caine, plus a killer concept.
"Interstellar" is based on Nolan's original idea and a previous script that his brother Jonathan developed back when Stephen Spielberg had an eye to direct it. It tells the story of "a group of explorers who make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage." The original concept dealt with the theories of a guy named Kip Thorne, a CalTech physicist that did some amazing work with theoretical wormholes and their potential for time travel (read more about those here), so perhaps that's a clue where "Interstellar" will take us.
"Interstellar" opens in theaters on November 7, 2014 and will use a combination of regular 35mm film and IMAX, similar to "The Dark Knight" and "The Dark Knight Rises."
Click past the jump to read the full press release.
Some exciting news and possible behind-the-scenes drama coming out of Sylvester Stallone and the "Expendables" cast today. The ringleader of the aging group of action heroes tweeted today, declaring a big cast change for "The Expendables 3," due out on August 15, 2014.
"WILLIS OUT... HARRISON FORD IN !!!! GREAT NEWS !!!!! Been waiting years for this!!!!" Stallone tweeted.
That's certainly exciting news, since the "Indiana Jones" actors has been a member of possibly-Expendables for a while now, along with Jackie Chan, Mel Gibson, Nic Cage, and Wesley Snipes.
But it was what Stallone tweeted next that made us think there's something else going on here.
The Autobots and Decepticons have descended upon the bankrupt city of Detroit, Michigan and seemed determined to blow it all up.
That's what we're seeing in two new videos from the set of "Transformers 4," Michael Bay's reboot of the series he started, which now stars Mark Wahlberg as a single father/inventor that encounters a new group of transforming robots, once again led by Optimus Prime and Bumblebee.
Click past the jump to see the videos from the set.