Earlier this month, Steven Soderbergh showed up on the set of “The Hunger Games,” and a few crewmember tweets later, the Internet was flooded with wild, rampant speculation – an unusual departure from the web’s characteristic restraint. Now, the director has opened up about what exactly he was doing on the set of the heavily anticipated new film.
During an interview to promote the director’s new “Contagion,” Moviefone got down to brass tacks and asked the director what was going on, and how he came to be working on “The Hunger Games.”
“The story is really simple,” Soderbergh explained. “Back in April, [director] Gary [Ross] -- who is a close friend of mine I've exchanged creative favors with non-stop over the last 15 years -- when he got the boards for the shoot in April called me and said, ‘Hey, first week of August, I got these two days of second unit. Is there any way you can come down and help me out? Because I'd rather have you do it than hire somebody who I don't know.’”
Since leaving the world of professional wrestling, Dwayne Johnson AKA The Rock, has mostly portrayed good guys, but that could change with Relativity’s “Goliath,” as the studio is eyeing Johnson for the title role while crossing their fingers that Taylor Lautner will play David, the Biblical king of the Israelites.
After the massive success of the first Guy Ritchie “Sherlock Holmes” movie, Warner Bros. got right on setting up a sequel, which eventually became this December’s “Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.” The most recent issue of “Empire” magazine features the film’s star Robert Downey, Jr. on the cover, but also boasts several photos of the shoot, including a behind-the-scenes look at the cast with Ritchie himself.
Returning from the first film are Downey, Jr. and Jude Law, who plays able sidekick Dr. John Watson. The movie is also bringing out characters from the original Arthur Conan Doyle stories, including Sherlock’s brother Mycroft (played by Stephen Fry) and legendary villain Professor Moriarty, who is being portrayed by “Mad Men” actor Jared Harris. The production also features new characters, like Noomi Rapace’s mysterious gypsy Sim.
As seen at Empire Online, the first photo shows three of the principal castmembers, Downey, Jr, Law and Rapace, seated around a table together. While the image itself is somewhat mundane, it likely points toward the way in which new character Sim will freshen up the already compelling dynamic between Holmes and Watson.
“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” is easily one of this winter’s most anticipated movies, with a solid cast, internationally known source material, renowned director David Fincher and even the guy behind Nine Inch Nails working on the score (Trent Reznor, natch).
Fortunately, with today's trio of new "Dragon Tattoo" photos, you won’t have to wait until December 26 to get a better look at the film. Stieg Larsson’s novel of the same name, on which the film is based, is somewhat infamous for its depictions of brutal, sexual violence. While none of that is on display in new images found at Empire, they do give us an excellent view of some of the story’s principal characters.
First up is Daniel Craig in his role as disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist, making a horrified face at something off-screen. We have an idea where the image is taken from, but we’ll refrain from saying for the six people out there who have neither read the book, seen the Swedish film or already had the story spoiled for them. Suffice to say, he’s right to look concerned.
Susan Hill’s thriller novel, “The Woman in Black,” has already spawned one adaptation, the 1989 television movie of the same name. While creepy, that version had a distinct lack of Daniel Radcliffe. Fortunately, that problem will be effectively remedied when a new adaptation of the book hits theaters in February 2012.
Though it is based on the original novel, the movie is said to veer away from the book’s plot in numerous ways, as Radcliffe’s character, the lawyer Arthur Kipps, visits a small English town to deal with the estate of the deceased Alice Drablow. As you, an intuitive filmgoer, would probably imagine, things get dark and weird pretty damn quickly.
The new trailer, seen in the video above, captures that creeping sense of menace remarkably effectively, as it includes every single one of the top five creepiest things ever. Join us past the jump to see if you spotted them all!
Proving that not even the threat of global economic collapse can keep people away from giant robot fights, worldwide box office receipts for “Transformers: Dark of the Moon” have now surpassed $1 billion. No doubt aided by the additional money brought in by 3D ticket sales, the third Michael Bay “Transformers” movie has grossed $338 million in the United States and a whopping $663 million internationally.
While “Transformers: Dark of the Moon” is the first Paramount Pictures film to ever break the $1 billion mark, it’s the tenth movie to do so in history, which also earns it a spot in the highest-grossing films of all time. The list, in order, goes: “Avatar,” “Titanic,” “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King,” “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” “Toy Story 3,” “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2,” “The Dark Knight,” and finally, “Transformers: Dark of the Moon,” which edged out “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” for its place.
In May of this year, Albert Hughes walked away from the live-action adaptation of the legendary manga, “Akira,” presumably as fed-up with the process just like the rest of us are. His just announced next project, “Motor City,” is a more straightforward revenge story, but with a substantial twist.
Twitch Film reports that “Motor City,” written by Chad St. John, is “a revenge film about a small time crook who is framed and sent to jail only to go after those who put him there upon release.”
It's a pretty standard plot that becomes much more interesting when you learn that the original 2009 version of the script contained only a single line of dialogue.
“G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” debuted with mixed reviews in 2009, but the brand is seemingly still strong enough to support a burgeoning live action movie franchise, as plans continue to move ahead with a sequel, "G.I. Joe: Cobra Strikes," rumored for a 2012 release.
While many actors, including Joseph Gordon-Levitt, will not be returning for the as-yet-untitled sequel, Channing Tatum will be reprising his role as protagonist Duke. In addition to other returning stars Lee Byung-hun and Ray Park, the new movie will feature Stephen Martines rumored to play Cross-Country, Elodie Yung as the ninja Jinx, D.J. Cotrona as fan-favorite Flint, RZA as the Blind Master, Adrianne Palicki as Lady Jaye and Ray Stevenson as bad guy Firefly.
But the costar that Tatum appears most excited about? That would be none other than Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, who's been tapped to play Roadblock.