Earlier this week we learned that Ewan McGregor will star opposite Robert Duvall in "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote." McGregor was on the red carpet at the 30th anniversary celebration for "Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back" on Wednesday night, and MTV contributor Todd Gilchrist was there to ask about his feelings on "Quixote," a project which has been destined for -- and failed to reach -- big screens a number of times.
"I try not to think about the pressure and the scary side of what you're about to embark on, but just think of it as being a challenge," McGregor explained. "If ['The Man Who Killed Don Quixote'] comes about, which it may -- and I certainly hope it does, because I've wanted to work with [director Terry Gilliam] for a long time -- to play that part would be very, very exciting."
"Which it may" he said. This is a bit of a backpeddle from the earlier news: Empire reported that McGregor confirmed to them at Cannes that he'd landed the gig. Probably just a case here of a smart actor being cautious with his words, but worth noting nonetheless.
More worrisome is Gilliam's history with "Quixote." The director famously tried to bring the story of the delusional Spaniard to big screens, with Johnny Depp in McGregor's Quixote sidekick role. The production fell apart for a variety of reasons, many of which are documented in the stellar documentary, "Lost in La Mancha."
McGregor is aware of the history -- how could he not be? -- but he's not letting himself become overly concerned with it. "I won't worry too much about the pressure of it or what went before," he said, grinning widely before adding, "I'll just knock on wood and hope it's not the cursed project that everyone says it is."